Things You’ll Need: Ten Questions to Test Your Suitability as a Farmstead Cheesemaker
Kim, Don, and I got a good belly laugh out of this list-of-ten from “The Farmstead Creamery Advisor,” by Gianaclis Caldwell (2010):
“Ten Questions to Test Your Suitability
- Do you like to get up early – every day of the year and for many years to come?
- Do you mind working late into the evening – and then getting up early the next day?
- Do you mind working hard between getting up early and going to bed late?
- Does your spouse or partner also enjoy these hours?
- Do you have a good head for business?
- Do you have an artistic or creative flair?
- Can you be satisfied with repetitive labor and a lot of dishwashing?
- Do you have a great love for working with animals, no matter how exhausted you are?
- Can you deal well with constantly changing challenges and problems, including animal deaths, equipment failure, product loss, possible lawsuits and product recalls, and rising insurance and power costs?
- Do you mind working for below minimum wage for several years, or do you have an independent source of income to help pay bills?”
A pretty accurate list. It’s good to laugh! If we couldn’t, we might just kill ourselves. HA!